Thursday, July 2, 2009

Bruschetta

Today I've decided to make an Italian appetizer: bruschetta. The word comes from the verb from the Roman language: 'bruscare' which is to roast over coals. My good friend Lily and I atteneded Lavender Fest a month ago and she brought me my prize mule: a basil plant. I love her for that. This little basil plant has grown to heigths unimaginabale and is now creeping up into my window curtain. Buying your own herbs/veggies is very earth friendly as well as much more convenient. For other ways to go green, check out Lily's blog at:



To make the bruschetta topping I picked all the mature leaves and bought a baguette. You'll need EVOO, basil, baguette, s and p, a clove of garlic, and tomatoes. Chop the tomatoes, garlic, and basil and season with s and p.


Now you want to slice your baguette in about 1/4 in. slices. Rub with EVOO and place on a baking sheet. Top with the tomato/basil concoction. Sprinkle with parm cheese (please do not use that fake stuff that's in the green cylinder...also do not use your leftover Mazzio's packets. SAME THING.) Go buy a nice slice of parm cheese from the grocery store and grate it when you need it. It tastes so much better. It's about $4.99/slice, but it lasts me a while! Broil on top rack for a couple of minutes or until the cheese melts.


Sit back, sip some Pinot Grigio, and pretend like you're in Tuscany. Until it's time to feed the dog. Or work out. Or wash the dishes you just dirtied up. Then remember, even though you're still in Oklahoma, you can make dishes from around the world. The possibilities are endless, people...


No comments:

Post a Comment